Thursday, September 9, 2010

The path to take to success!?

So yes it has been a while since I have updated my blog. At this point i believe my only readers are my best friends Michi (since kindergarten) and Stephanie (since 8th grade.) haha Well they are the only ones who comment on my blogs but i like to believe that there are other people out there who read them. If you are one of them... THANK YOU!!!!! Major major thanks to the BFF's always for everything. It's enough having to listen to me ramble on during our weekly thursday girls night but now I force you to read the crazy thoughts on my mind and things I'm up to.

Starting out your own photography business is not easy. DUH but we all new that! Does it stop me? Hell No! Every major photographer today has their own story. Some have done the whole 9 yards and went to college, got a degree, got a job, bam done! Some have been taken under another professionals wing and learned under them and eventually spread their own wings and did their thing. Some have gone into it blindly and just went with it as they learned through mistakes and failures.

My story? I have tried a little of everything. I took a few courses at a community college which helped me realize that i love it and want to do this as a career but let's face it... Hawaii doesn't have a great photography art program. I then took it upon myself to buy books and spend hours in borders reading and researching "how to run your own business" "Photography Business fundamentals" yada yada Oh and i can't forget the MANY MANY wedding magazines I've picked up and stalked the photographers mentioned in the magazines because of the fact that I just fell in love with them through their work. People such as Mike Colon and Jasmine Star!!! They are my all time idols and would love to hit up one of their seminars someday. I am currently working under someone right now, he's great! Fantastic and absolutely wonderful but I'm wondering what will work best for me. It started off great and learning under him was like a kid who wanted to be in a boy band teaming up with Justin Timberlake back in the Nsync days. But its going a little slow now but this could just be me and my impatient bad habit ways. Well i see it as however I am supposed to achieve great success in my photography career, so be it. I will just accept whatever way that I am supposed to succeed in it and not complain. All I can say is that it's going to happen because I'm sure as hell going to make it happen and maybe one day my name will be in huge wedding mags and have my own seminars. :D Guess for now... just stay tuned and I look forward to writing more blogs that lead up to my goal of being the next Mike Colon or Jasmine Star! Oh I hope I hope!

3 comments:

  1. hiii! bff michi here! hahah i didn't get a notice about this new blog entry..i just saw it on your facebook. anyhoo, don't worry i'm sure there are other people who read and just don't wanna say anything.. i have a few blogs that i read as a silent stalker. haha remember catherine toth, she used to write those about women columns for the advertiser? well i've been reading her blog for years and i think i maybe commented like 2 times. haha under not my real name. anyway, i'm so proud of you, it's pretty amazing that you pretty much are a self-starter and taught yourself a lot of what you know.. of course, there's the talent part too, but a lot of people have talent but not the drive. and you have both!! i knowwwww you'll be fammouuusss and when you are, invite me and steph and the lovers to your beach house. k thanks! but colon is kind of an unfortunate name, no? ok see you at dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little of everything huh?
    I had nothing. I started with a small tourist camera thinking that I could get the best shots. Than saw your pictures and what results you got. Bought a Sony A33. From there, I now make my own newsletter, and even get some pictures posted in the local base paper. But its nowhere near your level. Weddings, Special events and getting your photo on Magazine. too cool. One day I hope to have one on the army website, kinda my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. muahahhaa i'm mentioned in your blog i feel so special!
    anyway, you know we believe in your photography and i've always loved the pictures you take!
    i just googled your mike colon and i loved that santa barbara wedding shoot looked like such a beautiful expensive looking wedding!
    so im watching friends and completely forgot what i wanted to write..anyway good blog! you should always post it on your facebook so i know when theres a new one out

    ReplyDelete